ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (June 5th)

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of Tech’s latest defensive offers recently went out to Houston (Texas) Stratford linebacker Jordyn Brooks, who’s seen the recruiting process really catch fire over the last few weeks.

“It’s been an overwhelming process. It started heating up towards the end of the spring, but overall I’m enjoying it,” he said. “My latest offer was Mizzou, and I’m getting some interest from A&M and USC lately.”

The Houston native has been in touch with Red Raider linebackers coach Zac Spavital as of late, and it looks like he could be making it out to Lubbock for a visit once satellite camps are over next weekend.

“I just talked to Coach Spavital, and I’m planning a visit for either the 13th, 14th, or 15th of June, so I’m trying to make it up there pretty soon.”

The Tech assistant has been telling Brooks about Lubbock and the Tech campus, so the LB is ready to get a look at it with his own eyes.

“He told me it’s a beautiful place up there and that I’ve got to come see it for myself to really just start falling in love with the place, so I really just want to get out there as soon as possible.”

As for the recruiting process as a whole, the senior is hoping to make a decision before things get rolling this fall.

“I’ve been thinking I’m probably going to make a commitment before the season gets started.”

--Clare

-----

Cypress (Texas) Cy Spring wide receiver Donnell Dunn was one of Tech’s earlier wide receiver offers in the spring, and things have been going well with him as of late.

“Right now Arkansas has been through, Fresno State has been through. I’m actually going to a Baylor camp next Sunday and a TCU camp next Friday, so I’m looking forward to that.”

In fact, Dunn has been keeping in contact with the Red Raiders on a fairly consistent basis. The two coaches he’s been hearing the most from are cornerbacks coach Kevin Curtis and outside receivers coach Darrin Chiaverini.

“It’s going very good. We still keep in touch. I actually talked to one of their coaches every day, so it’s very good,” he said. “I talk to Kevin Curtis, their cornerbacks coach. I also keep in touch with Coach Chev.”

As for a position, Dunn says that Tech likes him on the inside at the slot first and foremost, but they feel they could slide him out in certain situations, too.

“They mainly want me at the slot, but they said if they need to they could bump me outside as well.”

It sounds like Tech is one of several schools that Dunn is talking with the most at the moment, and he may even make an appearance at one of the Red Raiders’ satellite camps in H-Town in the coming days.

“Probably talking to Arkansas and Texas Tech the most,” he said. “I know I’m going to go out to an Illinois camp, and I’m going to a Texas Tech camp, and that’s pretty much it.”

--Clare

-----

Missouri City (Texas) Fort Bend Marshall athlete Jeremy Smith was one of the latest prospects to receive an offer from the Red Raiders. In fact, he’s picked up three so far.

“My new offers are Texas Tech, Texas State, and Memphis, and those are the only three that have wanted me for right now.”

Smith has also begun building a relationship with the Red Raiders, and he’s enjoyed getting to know more things about the program thus far.

“It was the receivers coach, and my relationship is starting to get bigger and better with them. We’re starting to have a bond.”

While he’s listed as an athlete, Tech has made it clear to the FB Marshall prospect that they want him to play receiver, and it’s been that or quarterback for each school that has offered thus far.

“They just want me to come in and play receiver, but they haven’t said outside or inside. All my offers are at receiver except for Memphis, and they want me as a quarterback.”

As for this summer, it looks like Smith will take several visits, including one out to Lubbock,

“Programs I think I’m going to visit are going to be Michigan State, Texas Tech, and probably Maryland.”

If you recall, Tech actually has an FB Marshall alum on their roster in senior tailback DeAndre Washington. While he may be much older than Smith, the two do still have a relationship and have talked some about Tech.

“Yeah, he’s a real good friend of mine. We talk about it every day, and he tells me about Texas Tech and how it is up there, but we’re just talking as friends for right now.”

--Clare

-----

Houston (Texas) Reagan linebacker Robert Revels has had an ongoing relationship with the Red Raiders for quite a while now, picking up an offer in the early spring, visiting Lubbock for their junior day in march, and continuing things from there. Other schools have begun to show their interest as well, however.

“In the spring, I picked up an offer from Colorado State, Indiana, and some more schools have been coming up to school to watch me workout. Kansas, Northwestern, and some more Big 12 schools and stuff like that.”

As for things with Tech, Revels said the relationship there is still solid, and he’s been keeping in contact with Coach Curtis.

“It’s standing pretty good, and I still like them. I’ve been talking with Coach Kevin Curtis.”

One interesting note with Revels is the fact that the Red Raiders may actually be looking at him as more of a defensive end than a linebacker.

“They said they could see me as more of a defensive end in the Big 12. They need faster linebackers, so they said they could maybe see me as a defensive end,” he said. “It doesn’t matter to me as long as I get to play. With the other Big 12 schools, it’s been pretty much the same.”

- Clare

-----

(CONTINUED IN NEXT POST)

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.