ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: Cardinal's Red Raider Confidential (June 19th)

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
The Red Raider Confidential is sponsored by Cardinal's Sports Center. If you need Texas Tech gear or Under Armour apparel, the best place to go in our opinion is Cardinal's -- they have a tremendous location in Lubbock (Slide and S. Loop 289), a store in Plano and a fantastic selection on their website.

1131811.jpg

If you're in the Lubbock area and looking to get into shape, but don't know where to start, check out the website for Cardinal's Fitness. You can sign up for individual classes -- no contract or membership required -- that are good for people at any fitness level.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Amongst the flurry of commits last week, Rivals recruiting analyst Jason Howell shared his thoughts on two of Tech’s most recent commits, Keller (Texas) defensive end Houston Miller and Southmoore (Okla.) defensive end Noah Jones.

Here's what Howell had to say.

“It was a big weekend for Texas Tech, as they added a couple new additions along the defensive front in Houston Miller out of Keller and Noah Jones out of Southmoore, Oklahoma. Both of these guys in different ways provide help in several different areas. Miller is the kind of guy who can stand up and be comfortable out in space at linebacker. We got to see him at the Dallas RCS where he wasn’t the best guy in coverage, but did a really good job of using his length to close and make plays on the ball. I think he had a couple interceptions at the camp. He also showed a nice little burst off the edge and was able to get some nice wins in one-on-one reps using a quick first step. Noah is a bigger guy, definitely a guy who can –listed at strong side defensive end—and he can definitely play that and use his strength and power on that edge. He also does a good job of rolling down and being effective at defensive tackle. Tech got some guys who can contribute in a number of ways on the defensive front when they picked up those two guys.”

-Clare & Kohnle

-----

Tech’s satellite camp circuit proved to be a success yet again, as Tech got the chance to take a look at many prospects in person and meet many new players during the process, even receiving some commits along the way.

Out of the many players that attended the camps to either watch or participate, a few could see things start to pick up with the Red Raiders. A name to keep an eye out on is Dallas (Texas) Bishop Dunne defensive end Jordon Robertson, who was invited to the Euless Trinity camp and he liked what he saw.

“Coach Brock invited me up there to the camp so that I can meet him and meet some of the coaches. It was real good to see how the coaches coached, to see Coach Smith in action, and to see how the coaches gravitated towards the players.”

Robertson has been in contact with Coach Brock and Mike Smith recently and really likes what Smith offers from a coaching perspective.

“I’ve talked with Coach Brock and Coach Smith before on some occasions. He is a real good coach. I like his coaching techniques and how he can hype the players up. He has proven results.”

The two-star prospect holds seven offers currently and is receiving interest from various other schools. He has yet to receive an offer from Tech, but understands the process and is patiently awaiting the opportunity.

“Kansas State and SMU have both offered me recently. Arkansas has been in touch with me a lot as well as Arizona State and Iowa,” he said. “With Texas Tech I’m just going to keep doing what I’m doing, working hard, and if It’s a good fit, then the offer will come from them.”

With many schools showing interest, what are the things Robertson is looking for a from a future school?

“For me, I’m not looking for a winning program. It would be nice to go to a school like that, but that isn’t at the top of my list. I just want to go somewhere where I feel needed and have the chance to really help that program. The coaches and academics are also big factors for me.”

If an offer does come from the Red Raiders, what are the defenders thoughts on the opportunity at Texas Tech?

“I would consider them for sure,” Robertson said. “They are good, they are really good. I think it is a great program and I really like Coach Smith and Coach Brock. My uncle played at Tech a few years back and he raved about the town and the atmosphere He had a lot of good things to say about the program. I like the line’s explosiveness and their attack style defense. I wouldn’t mind helping them become a winning program again.”

While listed at defensive end, Robertson plays a number of positions in high school, and his versatility is what makes him an intriguing prospect for the Red Raiders.

“All the schools are looking at me all across the defensive line. I’m 6-foot-5, 255-pounds, so I have the frame be a solid 300 pounds if schools want to move me inside. I don’t have a preference. I can rush off the edge or I can plug things in the middle,” he said. “I play all across the defensive line at my high school. My motor and my technique are my best attributes, I’m a real technician in the trenches and am real explosive off the line.”

Tech still has time with Robertson as it could be a few more months before a commitment happens, but if they wait too long, they could miss out.

“I’m looking to commit sometime during my season. Tech would be one of my top schools for sure, but it just depends on when they come in to the picture.”

-Kohnle

-----

Tech’s recruiting board has filled up at a rapid rate over the last month or s, and the coaches now have the time to step back and re-evaluate where they stand in regards to each position. One position that is still being looked at to hopefully add a few more prospects is in the secondary, and Odessa (Texas) Permian DB Desmon Smith could do the trick.

Smith recently attended the high school camp here in Lubbock on Tuesday and really enjoyed the experience.

“It was fun to be able to compete with the guys that were there. I had been to that camp, a three day camp in Lubbock, last year so it was a lot of going over the same thing which made it easier for me to go out there and compete.”

Smith was coming out to Lubbock with something to prove on Tuesday, as the coaches were unable to stop by this spring to see him in person.

“They invited me to the spring game in Midland and at the spring game they told me that they were going to come down and watch me during the spring and check me out. They were unavailable to make it out, so I told myself that I was just going to go down to Lubbock and try to get their attention there.”

The three-star prospect was pleased with his performance, and his showing may have paid off as Coach Gibbs said he would call him very soon.

“I feel like I did really well. Coach Gibbs said that he will be in touch with me,” Smith said. “I led through the drills with Coach Curtis, I did what I was told, and I made plays. I feel like I did real well and the guys in one-on-ones only caught two passes from me during all the reps that I was out there. I feel like I did really good in one-on-ones.”

The six-foot-three, 190-pound Smith can play both corner and safety at the next level. Tech worked Smith out at corner, but some schools have offered him at safety. Smith has identified two areas of his game to work on this summer that will help him excel at either position.

“My speed, I’ve worked on my speed a lot lately, and my strength. I ran a 4.55 40 yard dash at the camp. I’ve also been working really hard in the weight room lifting weights. I like where I am at weight-wise, I am 190 pounds which I feel like is a very good size for a corner, but I want my strength and my speed to keep improving.”

Smith will be taking a visit to SMU this weekend but has no other visits currently planned. Amongst his many offers, Smith has narrowed things down to SMU, Kansas, Minnesota, Colorado State, and Texas Tech moving forward. Smith is willing to shut his recruitment down though if he receives that one phone call from the Red Raiders.

“I have no other visits setup right now after my SMU visit. I am waiting on Tech to get back to me within the next week and then I might take another trip. If Tech were to offer, I would probably commit. They were in my top 5 before my recruitment even started and I really like them and they are close to home too which is a bonus,” he said. “If they were to offer, I would probably commit right away because I don’t want to wait out very long, but even if they don’t offer, I plan to commit soon. Spots are filling up and I don’t want to get stuck at a school that I don’t want to be at,” he said. “I just feel really good about Tech when I am there. I love the town and I really like the school.”

--Kohnle

-----

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.