ADVERTISEMENT

Big 12 2024 Preview - Thoughts and Comments Welcome

Zyler Buchanan

Red Raider
Gold Member
Aug 1, 2016
Dallas, Tx

The genesis of this whole endeavor started when me and some friends started arguing about how we should rank and tier the Big 12 teams. I took it upon myself to try and objectively review, rate, and rank these teams based on their projected starting rosters.

I ran through what happened last year mainly using GameOnPaper and SP+. Read some team recaps and documented all of the high level statistical changes. I then had to take a look at each individual roster position and assign each group a score, 1-20, which was then weighted according to positional value. (A good QB is worth more than a good TE, for example) 20 being an elite unit with no flaws whatsoever, 1 being the worst unit in FBS.

I then had to assign coaching grades for both offense and defense to offset some of the clear developmental and schematic advantages certain teams have (or don't have) to arrive at a final adjusted offensive and defensive score.

Plugged all of these numbers into a projected schedule and arrived at win totals. Take a look and let me know what you think.

NOTES - The documents I plugged in all of my thoughts and reasoning are far from a finished product, I was hoping to edit them into a much more digestible format, but Baby #2 arriving any day now is forcing my hand. As I went, I tried to clip at least one video or article about each player departing or entering or playing significant minutes, but this became pretty time consuming and wasn't able to do this consistently.

- There are clearly flaws in this model, it has not been back tested, or analytically proven in any way shape or form. I tried to be consistent and objective in assigning point totals for each position group, but there was no strict rubric, and inconsistencies are doubtless included. My apologies in advance when you discover them.

- Some teams (cough cough, Colorado) have a ton of information about projected depth charts and transfer additions, others, (looking at you Baylor) have almost no free content and some of my depth chart predictions are going to be wrong.

- This was meant to be a fun exercise for me to really deep dive Big 12 teams in a way I hadn't before and I had a ton of fun. Do with it what you will!

- Big shout out to CFBDepth.com for helping me get advanced grades on players for free.

* the spreadsheet and documents should all be view only if you want to read them, if you have issues let me know!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.