ADVERTISEMENT

ACU - The Perfect Storm

dykesgoodnerslayton

Rookie Red Raider
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2023
Awful. This should have been over at half - when I saw the student section full when the drone show hit I knew this site would be buzzing because they gave up going to the tailgate early...we were in a rumble.

Why it was close:
Joey has to be better in opening games. Two years in a row not playing well vs a "weak" opponent is on him. Game plan vs Wyoming had vanilla and when the dam broke, no adjustments. This year, same thing. Looking ahead, preparing for Oregon or Washington State is the reason. Jim Tressel said there are no upsets, just one team was more prepared than the other. See Idaho (udaho) vs Oregon. Oregon has a big one this week.

Base game plan on defense. Lutz hurt, although assuming ACU didnt have NFL size on oline, and both WR - Peoples could hang. When they scored on the TE wheel for their first TD, they had us. Rodriguez has yet to cover the RB wheel - I think Roberts yelled at everyone on defense trying to get them lined up. With a base plan, ACU bringing a game plan they have been honing all spring and summer with Holgerson's protege (ACU OC) they schemed us.

Motivation and lack of Intimidation. Every Tech person on the ACU roster was not intimidated like most smaller schools coming into town. Head coach wanted nothing more than to beat the guy picked over his staff thought to be inadequate. QB had everything to show that he got passed over. And he's good - or played the game of his life. Every other Tech to ACU player was juiced and had no fear - and once they saw Tech was screwed up on D - blood in the water. You cant tell me Holgerson didnt assist in some game planning as he and other coaches want to see tech fall. Actually stayed at same hotel as McIvor's family and his dad said they dropped a bunch of passes last year, so me thinks they played out of their minds.

Overconfident offense - Morton got out strong, but made choices on his own that cost us. Again, like being up 17-0 in Wyoming why wouldnt we score every play. But, when ACU got the mo - and Behren checked to throw to Coy on 2nd and 1 - he sent us to overtime. I dont blame Kitley - but that is not popular (52 points).

Looking ahead. Just like we came out with a scheme to beat Oregon even though JRod was out with a foot hurt and all thought they would score 100 on us, we played good enough to win. If the interception had not been overturned to incomplete in the endzone, we win. A former qb threw a bad pass too, but I digress.
Wazzou is no different. This is a huge game with many ties to players and coaches on both teams along with Leach induction.

Wazzou scored 70 odd enough on Portland state just like Oregon scored 70 on Portland State last year before playing us. Me, you and 9 of our friends would send Port state to overtime...js.

Have to be as good at the first of the year as at the end. I believe. Wreck Em.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.