ADVERTISEMENT

A Couple of Suggestions

Doc 20

Ring of Honor
Gold Member
Feb 28, 2002
We lost a weird game, mainly because of field position. I think if we tee it up again 20 times, this would be the only one that played out this way. BUT THIS ONE DID. I also think we should have beaten that team.

So on to the suggestions: We seem confused and not fully engaged on offense. I think it because we try to do too much, and because the game Kittley calls is kind of a grab bag of plays from his vast playbook. We need to simplify and execute. We need a game plan that is connected, where one play leads to another and there is a unified purpose. The passes to Jordan Brown late in the game are a perfect example...we could have done that all night long...we could have used our TEs in pass routes as well.

We need to get away from trying to invent plays that trick the defense. It puts the wrong thought process in the players heads. We need to lineup and kick some ass. We need these young players to get mean and nasty. And we need them to know that we are serious about eliminating dumb mistakes.

On defense I see some growth in the secondary and along the line. I saw Rigsby, Cofield and Nedore and few others rising to the occasion. Isaac Smith is beginning to get his feet back under him. But Rodriquez is struggling as is Baskerville. The young CBs and Ss seemed to be playing better this game than the last. It would help them a lot if the other team has more than 50 yards to go from the beginning of a drive.

The entire team needs a "be smart, get tough and play football" message. And that shouldn't just be in a speech before or after practice, but every coach needs to be hammering it into their heads all practice long. You make your own luck...you will never trick your way into winning football.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.