ADVERTISEMENT

10 Tech Sports Guesstimates -- What kinda shot do we have?

4O9to8O6Nback

"I retire from podcasting"- @T. Beadles
Gold Member
Dec 30, 2015
Terrence Shannon returns to Tech: 30% shot. I think he probably goes if he's top 45ish pick, and I think it's more likely than not that he will be. I've struggled to get a read on this though.

Tech football has a winning record in Big 12 play: 35% shot. This feels low, but it also is as high as I would have predicted pre-season in at least 5 years.

Tech football beats UH: 70% shot. Just have a feeling we roll those guys.

Tech Hoops makes it to the Round of 32 of the NCAA tournament: 45% shot. If this seems kind of low, it's really not. That would mean a roughly 4% chance of going to the final 4, which would be the equivalent of top 15-20 team.

Matt Wells is Tech's football coach in 2021: 70% shot. I think it's more likely than not that we win at least 6 games.

Matt Wells wins at least a share of Big 12 Coach of the Year: 15% shot. Hear me out on this. I think there's a 20-25% chance we could win 8 or more games this year. If we do go 8-4, I think it would take OU only losing once, Iowa State only losing twice, Texas only losing twice, etc., for their respective coaches to win it outright over him. Matt Campbell's won at least a share of this award 3x already, two times with an 8-5 record. The only other coach to win the award with 5 losses... Spike Dykes.

Tech needs to beat Baylor for bowl eligibility in the last game of the season: 27.5% shot. Going into the BU game with a 5-6 record is probably the most likely scenario IMO, right there with being 6-5. I do think, though, that being 7-4 through 11 games is more likely than 4-7.

Tyler Shough plays one year for Tech (because he gets drafted really high): 20% shot. This very real possibility is one of many reasons that makes me think Tech has the highest ceiling from a win/loss standpoint since at least the 2015 team, and maybe even a bit higher than that team did.

Tech rolls into Austin 3-0 to face a 1-2 UT team: 8% shot. Wouldn't that be hilarious? It's definitely in play. ULL is no joke.

Tech Football goes 6-1 or 7-0 at home this year: 15% shot. Some may think this is too high. I think it's actually pretty conservative. It would mean 10ish point dogs to OSU/ISU, 3 point dog to TCU and 3 point favorites over KSU. Our home schedule is another reason why I like this team to reach its ceiling more often than it totally shits everywhere.

How far off am I on all of these?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals to access this premium section.

• Say your piece in exclusive fan communities.
  • Unlock Premium news from the largest network of experts.
  • Dominate with stats, athlete data, Rivals250 rankings, and more.