ADVERTISEMENT

UPDATE: Kingsbury meets with the media for final time this spring

A. Dickens

Jedi Master
Staff
Jan 20, 2004
Lubbock
... Texas Tech held its final media availability of the spring today, just hours before the team was set for its final practice until August.

... Kingsbury praised Mike Mitchell for how much he's improved this spring but noted that the former five-star prospect is still adjusting to the speed of the game and learning the scheme. "You see the physical traits that make him so impressive. [...] I think he's pretty much right on track."

... Kingsbury added that he thinks Mitchell is the most physically gifted player on the roster.

... Kingsbury pointed to David Gibbs' work with the defense and the offense's ball security as two signs of a successful spring for his football team.

... Kingsbury said the team has scrimmaged "here and there" since the Midland scrimmage but nothing big.

... Davis Webb, who is up to 233 pounds, has participated in scrimmage activity -- "all of it" -- since the Midland scrimmage.

... You might want to sit down for this next part... Kingsbury said that the quarterback competition is even. Shocker, I know.

... Kingsbury said he'll name a starting quarterback "whenever (he) feels good about one being a starter."

... "I'll know it when I see it."

... Kingsbury said that Jalen Barnes suffered "some sort of bruised-type knee" injury in the spring game. He has not practiced since. "He'll be back. Nothing major. [...] He could probably practice if we needed him to."

... Kingsbury on Paul Stawarz: "He has four to play three. He's a guy who we'd like to come in and create that competition that I've talked about that we want at all positions. Adds another big body that we need going into the season."

... Kingsbury said that Justin Murphy and Robert Castaneda have made "big strides" this spring.
This post was edited on 4/9 3:24 PM by A. Dickens

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News