Red Raider Confidential (May 26th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
258006.jpg

Friday can only mean one thing for the discriminating Red Raider fan: time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. As always, we begin this session with the ground rules. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone helps out, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Mossakowski’s connections to Tech

Though Frisco quarterback Ryan Mossakowski has not begun narrowing down his list of offers yet, he does have some factors in mind that will separate his ideal school from others.

“I’m looking for a good education,” said the four-star quarterback. “You never know what’s going to happen on or off the field. Unfortunately, negative things do happen sometimes. Number two is the chemistry the players and coaches have and how the coaches coach their players. Plus, with my position being the QB, it’s all about how the coach handles the QB. I’d like to see if they yell or sit the quarterback down and all the chemistry that goes along with that.

“Three, it’s all about finding that place a home type environment. I’m going to be living there for quite a while. I kind of want a home away from home. I’d like that. It’d be easier to fit in and get settled in and be myself.”

With nine official offers on hand, Mossakowski receives visits from prospective future schools on a daily basis it seems.

“Let’s see, within the last couple of days, I’ve seen Tennessee and a couple coaches from Notre Dame. I’ve also had coaches from all the other school that have offered. Most of the other schools have been like Kansas, Nebraska, OU, and Texas A&M. I’ve had a guy from Boise State, a guy from Tulsa, and a coach from Clemson.”

Texas Tech has now offered four quarterbacks and three of them have committed to other schools while the fourth, Josh Nunes, is a long shot because of his location (California). Needless to say, it seems that the Red Raiders are bound to offer another gunslinger at some point. So the question is, has Tech been keeping any communication with the Metroplex standout?

“They have been, yes sir. I’ve called Coach (Lincoln) Riley and talked to him several times. I might be going down there for a one-day camp during the summer, depending on whether it fits in the schedule. I have talked to Coach Riley and that’s really the only guy I’ve talked to from Tech. But yeah, it seems that there is mutual interest.”

The way the recruiting process has been working so far this spring for Tech, it will be imperative for most of these quarterbacks to come to Tech’s camps in order to have a chance of receiving an offer. Mossakowski is one of the individuals that would be included in this group.

Head coach Mike Leach is very picky in his prospects and without being able to personally see the recruits on the road or be blown away by their film which removes any doubt Leach will have to wait for them to come see him.

One bright spot is that he at least has a friend in Lubbock that will be riding him to come visit the West Texas campus.

“There’s actually a kid out there that I played with my freshman year. His name is Joe Capp, he actually plays there now. I don’t know if he plays a lot or not.”

Capp is a walk-on out of the same high school, Centennial. The sophomore is a backup at the running back position but seems to have done a great job recruiting Mossakowski to this point.

“I talk to him every once in a while. I know a little about the football program, from talking to Joe.”

And being from the Dallas ? Forth Worth area, Capp is not the only familiar face that Mossakowski would have at Tech.

“I’ve had a couple of friends go up there. They really enjoy it up there. The school I’m a little more knowledgeable with. People like it there and really enjoy the environment. I know it’s a football-based school. I’ve heard many great things about the people that have gone there.”

We’ll soon find out if Riley and the coaching staff show enough signs to Mossakowski that he would have a chance at an offer upon attending a camp. Remember, there are many candidates at this point that could receive the next offer but he is definitely one of them.

Is Campbell a legitimate QB option?

We recently unveiled another QB option in Chris Campbell. He’s a prospect out of a private school in Collierville, Tennessee (Briarcrest Christian). The Red Raider coaching staff has been there to see him and is impressed what they’ve seen.

His resume of offers might not be impressive right now with a Southern Miss, but Tech liked what they saw. Remember, they’re going to have to extend at least one other offer soon, and all we’re saying is that this guy is one of the candidates.

“I know that Tech has a great football program and they also have great academics,” said Campbell. “I’m looking to go into pre-medicine for sports medicine.”

The West Texas school has a good reputation with a close source to Campbell as well.

“My best friend’s dad went to Texas Tech and he said he loved it. He said it was great and the whole atmosphere was wonderful.”

The 6-foot-3, 181-pound quarterback hopes to experience that atmosphere this summer as he is looking to attend Tech’s camp. Whether or not Campbell earns an offer from Tech depends a lot on him coming to a camp. He realizes that’s a big part in this, which is why Tech is not the only school that is hoping to see Campbell within the next two months.

“Several schools are wondering if distance is a factor and they really love me on film. They’re really interested in me; they’re just wanting to know if I’m willing to come up there. So a lot of them are saying that it’s good if I’m willing to come see them.

“I’ve been to Vanderbilt, Tennessee, Georgia, and Southern Miss. We’re wanting to go to Boise State just to see their school and meet their coaches. I’d also like to go back to Southern Miss.

“The only camp that I’m for sure signed up to go to is Vanderbilt on June 15. I plan on going to several others. I want to go to Ole Miss, Oklahoma State, Texas Tech, and Tennessee. I just need to see when all the dates are because they’re all close together.”

One thing that was mentioned in the recent update was that Campbell will be looking to see where he would be on the depth chart. At Tech, Head Coach Mike Leach has made it evident that his quarterbacks wait their turn in their system. Would Campbell have a problem being patient?

“I guess it really just depends on the school. If they’re going to redshirt me because they have a three year starter returning or something then that’d be fine because they’re going to be honest. Coming into it, I’d love to be competing for it, but I guess it depends on the school.”

We wouldn’t think that Campbell would be as picky if he only had a few offers to choose from, but only time will tell as he has been getting attention lately.

“We just got done with our spring practices and we had a lot of coaches come out there every day and they’d come to the school before and pull me out of class and meet me. Then they’d come back to practice and watch. I’ve been getting a lot of mail and a few phone calls as well.”

It seems that the first school that really impresses Campbell could receive a commitment short after.

“Ideally, if everything works out as planned and I feel great with the school, I’d like to commit before my senior season. That’s what I’m hoping to do. If not, I’m going to be ready to commit when that one school jumps out.”

Meanwhile, Campbell says he’s just trying to get better.

“Personally, this spring I really worked on my quickness and mobility in the pocket. I have pretty good vision downfield and seeing where my receiver are going to be and reading defenses. I feel like I’m good at finding the hole and know which receiver to find first. I think I have pretty good arm strength and can get it to anywhere on the field.”

Hopefully Leach will get a chance to see what he thinks of Campbell up close and in person.

It’s in Douglas’ genes

2008 signee Cornelius Douglas is a gamebreaker, plain and simple. Lawton High School head coach Randy Breeze told us where all of his talent comes from.

“His father played for me and should’ve played in the pros, he made it to the last cut for the Falcons. His mother is a very intelligent lady, she went to Lawton High School and she was my classroom aide. [Cornelius] comes from good stock. He’s got an uncle who was the number one quarterback in America in 1980, and he signed with OU to run the wishbone for them, but he broke his leg in an All-Star game and it was irreparable and he never played again. He had another uncle that played baseball at OU and bounced around in the Phillies organization for four or five years. [Cornelius] comes from good stock and he’s really special.”

Logan Likes the Depth Chart

Denver (CO) Mullen safety Alex Logan certainly his fair share of options when it comes to playing college football. Holding offers from schools like Cal, Texas Tech, Nebraska, Washington State, Washington, and others, the hard hitting defensive back is looking at all his options equally, but says that the depth chart at one school has helped them stand out.

"I would say Texas Tech's depth chart is a big thing for me," he explained. "It will definitely give me a chance to get on the field quicker, but I know I'm going to have to compete wherever I go. I just want to find the place that gives me the best combination of early playing possibilities, a great education, and a good team atmosphere, so we'll see."

Though Logan has made no official summer travel plans, he did say that he hopes to make it out to Tech before the summer is over.

Denton Ryan's Williams is another option at safety

Though Denton Ryan's Yahshua Williams is relatively new to the recruiting scene, he is fast becoming a household name amongst those who follow the Texas high school football recruiting scene. Much like other safeties who are considering Tech, the lanky standout says that playing time is a big deal.

"Well, I think three that stand out right now would be Nebraska, Kansas, and Texas Tech," he explained. "I'm all about playing time and those three are all talking about me starting right away, so that's a big deal."

He went on to explain that the scarcity of underclassmen at the safety position for the Red Raiders is something he's thinking an awful lot about.

"Like I said, I want to start, I want to play as a freshman," he said. "I'm all about working hard to earn a job and they (Tech) are losing a lot of people, and I think I'm ready to step in and fill that void if I do what I think I'm capable of doing."

Though Williams wants to wait until after his senior season to make a decision, he says that the Tech offer certainly caught his eye for now.

"Oh that offer was definitely a big deal," he said of the Red Raiders' tender. "They're right up there at the top of my list. I want to visit them for sure and see more about what's going on down there."

Sirles still looking at Tech

Former four-star offensive lineman Jeremiah Sirles' star rating may have recently dropped, but his stock on the recruiting trail has done anything but. With a new leader in Oregon, who recently offered the massive lineman, several Tech fans worried that the Red Raiders were pretty much out of the race for Sirles' services, something he denies.

"I still really love Tech," he said. "Like I said, they're right behind Oregon, which means a lot right now."

Keep in mind that Sirles is dead set on not making a decision until after his senior season, so Tech has plenty of time to make up ground on the Ducks, which is something Sirles says is plausible.

"I can see several scenarios in my head in which Tech takes over the lead," said Sirles.

Sirles didn't want to get into specifics, but he did explain that one thing that helped push Oregon on top is their desire for him to play left tackle.

"One thing that concerned me about Tech was that Coach Moore told me I'd be playing guard or tackle on the right side," he said. "And my whole life I've been playing left tackle, and I know I can compete there. I guess they've got a guy who's going to be pretty much entrenched there by the time I'm done with my redshirt year, so they want me on the right side, but I think I can play left tackle, which is what Oregon wants me to do."

Either way, even with the possibility of playing on the right side, Sirles says Tech is still nipping at Oregon's heels and made it very clear that he still very much likes the Red Raiders.

Aladenoye Likes Tech

Looming large at 6-foot-6, 345 pounds, it’s not hard to believe that offensive lineman Josh Aladenoye logged an astonishing 40 pancake blocks last season. But what is hard to believe is that the stud offensive lineman is just now getting serious recruiting interest.

One of the schools to throw their hat in the ring as of late is Texas Tech.

“I mean, them offering means that they saw something they liked,” explained the lineman. “And that just flatters me man. I’m honored to have an offer from them. That’s Texas Tech man, and they’re big in this state. I’ve been watching them play for a long time and I’m very honored to hold that offer.”

Aladenoye says he’s met Offensive Line Coach Matt Moore and is listening intently to what Tech has to say and will continue to do so until he makes his final decision.

“They’re really high up there,” he said. “I’m very high on them, they’ve got a great program, great academics, and the whole package. I’m telling you, I really like Texas Tech a whole lot.”

Q&A: basketball commit Robert Lewandowski

RRS: Did Bob Knight’s retirement affect your commitment to Texas Tech?

RL: Not at all. I have just as much respect for Pat Knight as I do Bob Knight, and I’m looking forward to starting a new era with Pat. I was excited to play for Bob Knight, but Pat Knight is a great coach as well; taking over in the middle of the season, look what he did, he was able to rally the team and win some big games.

RRS: What has Coach Pat Knight told you he’s going to do next year as far as his offensive and defensive systems?

RL: He’s basically going to follow in his dad’s footsteps and keep the motion offense. There’s some things defensively he’s going to change, like using some man-to-man and some zone, but that was apparent when he took over last season. He’s definitely going to do a lot more zone, and motion offense-wise, he’s going to do the same. He’s trying to get his recruiting classes and get his kids into the system.

RRS: What is your best trait as a basketball player?

RL: My knowledge of the game, especially in this system. Like I said, I feel like I have a step up because I’ve been playing in this system for quite awhile. I’m just looking forward to getting to Lubbock and there’s always stuff to work on.

RRS: What do you need to work on the most?

RL: The coaches would like me to step outside and shoot more. I’ve been working on that this spring. I’ve been doing a lot of shooting drills: one dribble and shoot or drive to the basket, just doing a lot of shooting on my own. I’ve always been a back to the basket type of player, but now I think stepping outside will be my primary game. I think it will be a smooth transition as long as I work hard.

RRS: What do you do as far as workouts go?
RL: I lift weights almost every day, and I shoot around a lot. I do a lot of shooting drills, then a little bit of running. Mostly lifting weights and playing pickup games. The best way to be able to know if you can shoot well is to do it in a game situation and be able to perform. I know pickup isn’t the same thing as a game, but that’s when I want to test myself to see if I’ve gotten any better.

RRS: What are you looking forward to about Lubbock and Texas Tech University?

RL: I’m looking forward to the college experience. Everyone always asked me the hypothetical question, if you could move on to the NBA would you? I know it’s never been a real possibility, but I’d rather have the college experience and I’m looking forward to it. I’ve never heard any bad things about Lubbock or Tech. Everyone who I’ve known that’s gone there loves it.“

RRS: Do you know who you’ll be living with?

RL: I’m living in an off campus apartment with Corbin Ray. We started talking this past spring and realized we wanted to room together. It’s cool. It’s one of the perks of being an athlete. Freshman don’t have to live on campus.

Okorie was recruited heavily?

Despite having a stellar career at South Plains College and possessing decent size (6’0”, 180 pounds) for a Division 1 point guard, 2008 signee Nick Okorie did not have many high profile schools recruiting him- or so we thought.

“I had offers from San Diego and Louisiana-Monroe, but some other schools had started to recruit me- Oklahoma and Tennessee- they tried to get in the picture a little bit.”

Luckily for Pat Knight and his staff, Okorie is a man of his word and stayed true to his commitment to Tech.

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential, visit the archives by clicking here.

Again, The Red Raider Confidential is a special feature for RedRaiderSports.com subscribers only. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will only be successful if everyone helps make it work, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Thank you all again for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News