Red Raider Confidential (May 19th)

Status
Not open for further replies.

C. Level

The People's Champ
Staff
Nov 7, 2002
258006.jpg

Friday can only mean one thing for the discriminating Red Raider fan: time for another edition of the Red Raider Confidential. As always, we begin this session with the ground rules. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will continue to be successful only if everyone helps out, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

How solid is Chidozie?

Tech’s newest defensive addition in the 2009 class is Bishop Lynch LB Dion Chidozie. According to BLHS Head Coach Bill Persinger, the Dallas-are private school is becoming known for their Division-I prospects.

“I have coaches coming back this year that were kind of hot on some of my kids from last year and they see how they’ve grown,” explained Persinger. “The Purdue coach says they look better than what I was playing with this spring and that’s part of our program. Our program is geared towards the next level. We put a lot at the next level and we’ve had a lot of kids go on and play. We have four this year that are going to sign. The kids have the grades and the work ethic and I think that separates them from a lot of places.”

Those are at least two of the factors that stood out to Tech defensive coordinator Ruffin McNeill and the Tech coaching staff when they observed the under-the-radar defenseman.

“With about three or four schools that had offered him already, I think Texas Tech foresaw that more could be coming.”

The previous offers were Louisiana Tech, West Point (Army), Air Force, and Rice. The Red Raiders became Chidozie’s fifth and latest offer. But Persinger explains that if he would not have committed to Tech so quickly, it’s inevitable that the Metroplex standout would have quickly begun piling up the offers.

“The University of Texas has come to see him twice now. They’re all excited so that ought to tell you something right there. They picked up some of his video and said that they were going to take it back to Mack Brown to look at. We expect Texas A&M to come by the school next week as well.”

Yet there were other schools outside the Lone Star State that have been knocking on Persinger’s door, asking about Dion.

“He kind of wanted to stay in Texas and if he didn’t stay in Texas, his other option was Duke. Duke was here and was supposed to get back to him this week but I’ll tell you, Ruffin just scooped him. Dion’s an honorable kid and I would be very surprised if he changed his mind.”

Though at first Persinger blew off any idea of Dion giving Duke a second look and continuing on his process, Chidozie made us slightly believe otherwise.

“No, I’m not necessarily 100% committed,” Chidozie told us the night of his commitment. “Well, I'm really committed to Texas Tech right now. But Duke is looking at me and I really want to go to Duke. I don't know what would happen if they offered, I’d have to talk about it with my parents and my coach and see what would be best for me.”

As most are probably instantly thinking “Why Duke? That’s random.” Persinger knows exactly why Chidozie would feel he’d need to say such words.

“That’s his dad talking,” commented Persinger. “His dad is very academic oriented.”

“I’ve always liked Duke since I was a kid,” continued Chidozie. “Even though they're not as good as Tech at football, they've got excellent academics.”

Knowing Chidozie’s potential with a 3.5 GPA, Persinger said that there’s a reason he instantly committed to Tech and did not wait on the North Carolina-based school.

“My advice when I talked to him was that I asked who offered him first, who wanted him first, and who’s committed to him. Then I asked which team is the one who looks at him just as a second choice and a backup on their role. I asked him if he wanted to be a first choice or second choice and when a kid hears that, it sells himself.

“Who would not want to be a first choice instead of a second choice? That pisses me off when we’re in private school and a kid doesn’t get into another and then they come to us. I’m supposed to be happy that they want us second? Nobody wants to be second.”

Plus, Persinger believes that’s the academic side of Duke might not be all that it’s cracked up to be when compared head to head against the Red Raiders.

“I think your business school is rated higher than Duke’s. That’s something for you to check in with. Your graduation rate is one of the best in the Big 12 and the country.”

Though Chidozie might show a little wavering, Persinger does not feel that there’s anything for Tech fans to worry about.

“My advice to him is that he’s already made his commitment. He needs to honor his commitment and Dion will honor his commitment. He’s very honest.”

Chidozie has reflected those words from his head coach so far as he has been honest with Tech up front and it’s those kinds of qualities that Persinger says makes Chidozie an even more valuable prospect than he looks on the field.

“I’ll tell you what, Dion is going to be a fine upstanding citizen that you’re not going to have to worry about failing or getting himself in situations he doesn’t belong in because he has solid parents. He’s a really sharp cookie.”

Then there’s the talent aspect of Chidozie that Persinger feels many don’t quit understand how good he really is.

“He is one of the best, if not the best defensive ends I’ve had in 32 years. He’s a sack machine. He had 15 or 16 sacks last year and that’s with people knowing about him. He had to sit two games last year because he had a twisted ankle, so he did all that in 10 games. He’s real clam and a mild mannered kid until you put that war bonnet on and it’s off to the races.”

Along with his sack tallies, Chidozie also was the reason for 29 QB hurries, seven forced fumbles, one fumble recovery, one blocked punt, and two safeties. Playing as a rush linebacker in a 3-4 defense, Chidozie has been blocked on the track running a 4.39 40. He has not timed his 40 recently on the grass.

“We’re very honored he’s going to be a red raider,” said a proud Persinger.

UPDATE (Saturday evening):

Duke had reportedly told Chidozie that they would call him at some point last week and let him know if they were going to offer him. As of Saturday evening, Chidozie had still not yet heard from the Dukies. Plus, it appears that he has nailed down a visit to the Hub City: “I think I’m going to go up there the 28th.”

We would be more surprised if Chidozie did indeed continue to act hesitant in anticipation to Duke. But if he does continue to show any more uncertainty, look for the Red Raiders to continue to keep their eyes open for Chidozie’s scholarship spot as well. Although, keep in mind that Tech is already very tight with defensive scholarships so it would not be smart for Chidozie to waiver in the future.

Tech’s in it for long haul with Hawthorne

There’s eight offers currently on the table for St. Louis East (Illinois) WR Terry Hawthorne. Besides his home-state school of Illinois, Hawthorne’s offers are all out of state. Would Hawthorne have a problem making a big move?

“No,” said the four-star prospect. “That’s not a big deal at all.”

Here’s the list: Tech, Arizona, Arkansas, Missouri, Notre Dame, Illinois, Kansas State and Kansas. And whoare at the top at this point?

“I would say that it has to be Tech, then Illinois and Arkansas.”

“I like them a lot. I wouldn’t mind going there because I think I can go in and fit right into their offense. I wouldn’t mind moving out of my town to go there. Not at all.”

An intriguing point about Hawthorne’s interest is that he admits to not having much information on the Red Raiders.

“I don’t’ know too much about them but I know that they are ranked in passing.”

Oh yeah, and he’s also heard of a guy named Michael Crabtree.

“I know what he did while he was there. So I feel I can come in there and fill his shoes when he leaves.”

An even more surprising note is that the modest Hawthorne was honored that Tech would even look at the talented prospect.

“It felt good when I found out that they wanted me. I was shocked but I feel great about it.”

Talking with the Tech staff every week, Hawthorne keeps up with other coaches around the country as well and listens to why Division-I schools want his skills on their team.

“They say that they like that I’m a playmaker and they just like to put the ball in my hand and let me do what I want to do with it. They like the way that I just take control with the offense.”

There’s a wideout on the same high school team that could easily have the same description. His name is Kraig Appleton, who’s had an offer for quite some time.

“We like being on the same team. We like pushing each other and we like the competition.”

Besides attending camps lately, Hawthorne also feels that he and Appleton have not reached their peak for their senior year.

“I’ve just been thinking that we got to do more work on the next level. We have to get faster, quicker, and work a little harder.”

Making it clear that he was going to take his offical visits this fall, when does Hawthorne plan on coming to the Hub City?

“I plan on trying to come to one of their camps during the summer. But if not, I’m going to try to make it to one of their games during their season.”

The fall visit is probably more likely for Hawthorne, but at this point it would definitely happen. Do keep in mind that it’s clear that this popular recruit will be taking his time in making a decision.

“Yeah, I’m going to wait till after this season.”

One other note of interest was that a fellow Northern school, Ohio State, had been rumored to always be a favorite of Hawthorne’s, but that no longer seems to be the case.

“I grew up being a fan of Ohio State but I don’t have too much interest in them. I’m done with them.”

But apparently, the Red Raiders seem to most definitely be in Hawthorne’s good graces.

“Yes sir. I think they would probably be one of my final decisions.”

Gordon Interested in Tech

Even though the Red Raiders have snagged early commitments from two safeties and a corner at this point, they’re very much still in the market for one or two more high school defensive backs. One of their top targets is Oklahoma native David Gordon.

Gordon, who boasts absolutely freakish speed, says he likes what Tech has to offer.

“Texas Tech came down and offered me, and I’ve just gotten really interested in Texas Tech since then,” he said. “They’re losing a lot of defensive backs, and so I feel like if I work really hard and use the talent God has blessed me with, that I could make a contribution early on. I know that’s a school that’s known for their defensive backs, so I’m excited about that. Plus I’ve gotten to know Ruffin McNeill and Seth Littrell too, and they are two really great guys, so that’s a plus.”

Gordon, who wants to study Theology in college and one day become a minister, says that Tech, Arkansas, Michigan, and Oklahoma are all schools that stand out to him at this point in time.

Gray’s Recruitment is Gaining Steam

There was a point in time when OL Joel Gray was somewhat undervalued by the recruiting world, but that time is quickly coming to an end. Gray, who went several months with Tech as his only offer, had knee surgery roughly a year ago. And despite coming back to play 11 of 13 games for Lewisville Hebron, there were several teams that claimed to be waiting to see how everything went with his knee before offering.

Well, fast forward a few months, and Gray is now one of the more highly recruited prospects in all of Texas. Gray truly is a national caliber recruit, with offers from every BCS conference (ACC- Virginia, Wake Forest, Duke; Big East- Cincinnati, Louisville; Big 10- Wisconsin; Big 12- Tech, Nebraska, Kansas; Pac 10- Arizona, Oregon; SEC- Ole Miss) and Gray’s omission from the Rivals 250 list is incredibly perplexing.

Here’s the good thing- Tech was smart enough to get in on the stud lineman early in the process, and it is paying dividends as Gray’s relationship with Tech’s staff is as strong as they come.

“I’m very cool with the coaches there,” said Gray. “I’ve known them for over a year now, so I feel like I can talk with them about anything and everything. They came down last Wednesday and when we were talking, it was just about everything. I’m not even sure how much we talked about recruiting, we just talked and had a good time.”

One topic that Gray and the coaches touched on last week was the limited availability of offensive line scholarships in this class.

“They said they’re really only taking two more guys in all reality,” said Gray. “They’ve been real cool about me taking my time, and I love that. But they also were very upfront with me and told me that if they fill one of those spots, they’re going to push pretty hard for me, which I appreciated.”

At this point, Tech’s chances look very good with Gray, which is great news. Pairing Gray with already-committed OL Kyle Clark would give Tech two of the best offensive linemen in the state this year, and the pair would immediately be two of the most talented linemen Leach has snagged in his tenure here, which is no small thing.

Gray is a very intelligent recruit, and he isn’t developing a big head, as some recruits in his situation do, which is allowing him to be objective about his decision. Tech’s success with putting linemen in the NFL, their academic prowess, and the fact that they’ve been on him since the beginning are all factors that have to be positives in Gray’s book. So we like Tech’s chances.

Even though he’s staying “wide open” until he’s made his summer visits, we fully expect this one to come down to Tech and Stanford with the possibility of Oklahoma making an impact if they decide to offer. Either way, it’s a testament to Tech’s recruiting and coaching staffs that Tech is in a good position with one of the top remaining offensive linemen in the region, if not the country, in mid-May.

Fisher finds his home

When Fossil Ridge WR Aaron Fisher jumped on the scene as one of the latest Texas Tech commitments last week, many subscribers began searching for information on the lengthy wideout. The receiver position is one that is very hard to get an offer at when one is looking at Texas Tech, and FRHS head coach Tony Baccarini says that there are clear reasons why Fisher has become an elite member of that group.

“Only the best division one receivers come through Fossil Ridge,” laughed Baccarini. “Seriously, he’s the best total package we’ve had. He’s tall, at 6-foot-3 with sprinter speed at a 4.44. He’s a route runner, blocker, and a straight A student. Those don’t come along very often.

“And oh yeah, he’ll go get the ball.”

That statement is evident when one looks at Fisher’s gaudy stats from last year as the standout junior snagged 61 catches for over 1,000 yards. It seems that the Red Raiders weren’t the only ones to notice Fisher’s talents.

“It’s been hectic,” Baccarini said, referring to Fisher’s recruitment. “With all the early offers, he has about 15 offers. But we have some other Division-I guys here on this team so we’re kind of used to it. I’m sure it’s been very hectic for him though.”

As Baccarini explains, it didn’t take Fisher long to realize that Lubbock was where he wanted to be.

“There were a couple of schools that offered that he would commit to and Texas Tech was one of those two and there’s no better place to go if you’re a wide receiver. He talked to his dad and he committed the day after they offered.

“It was Thursday afternoon and he told me that he stayed up late talking to his family and said he couldn’t sleep. About one in the morning he went to bed and I think he decided that night that he was going to go to Tech. He came in the next morning to ask how the process worked and what we should do. I had him give Coach Mainord a call and tell him we wanted to be a Red Raider.”

It was no surprise to his head coach when Fisher pulled the trigger either.

“I always assumed that if they offered he was going to take it because he had made mention about them before. He probably started talking about them a year ago. We talk about a lot of stuff and have a lot of kids recruited out here. It was one of his top two.”

Perhaps Baccarini had an impact on Fisher’s decision as well because of his familiarity with Tech’s potent offense.

“We’ve been up there to visit before on offense. We put up pretty big numbers offensively as well. So I think he fits it well because he’s a smart kid with a body and breakaway speed. I think it’s just a perfect fit for him.

“His first offer was Arizona, Coach Sonny Dykes was the first guy that offered him when he came and saw him. So I guess he feels like he fit the system.”

From his perspective of being a football coach, Baccarini has been impressed with the way the Tech coaching staff has handled the process as well.

“Coach Mainord has been in the business a long time and has a whirl of experience. He’s been in contact quite often then last week when it got back down to it, he brought both receiver coaches to a workout to look at him. Then they made their final decision and gave us a call back immediately. They’re very thorough.”

With several Division-I prospects coming out of his school every year, Baccarini should be well rehearsed at the advice he gives his kids at this point.

“I don’t advise them on where to go or what to look for. I answer any questions they might have but I really tell them to not close any doors because you never know what will happen. You just keep every door open and say your prayers and the right thing will come to you.

“One other bit of advice I give them through recruiting is to choose somewhere the coach is stable and is going to be there for your career and where you want to stay and get the career from. I let them decide on which way to go but those two things are very important.”

So with Fisher making his decision known, how stable does Baccarini feel his star wide receiver’s commitment really is?

“I would think he’s just completely solid. Man is only as good as his word and if he really feels comfortable with this decision I think he’s completely solid.”

Baccarini also commented that he knew Tech would only be taking one or two wide receivers and feels that had at least somewhat of an impact as well. But even with many schools actively recruiting him (Arizona, Missouri, Purdue, Kansas, Boise, Iowa, Vanderbilt, and Utah), Fisher did not feel like any more were worth the wait.

“He would have had plenty more because just everybody who walked in the door and watched him make plays, offered him immediately.

Q&A: ’08 Signee K Donnie Carona

RRS: Your predecessor, Alex Trlica, holds the NCAA record for most consecutive PAT’s made and had several clutch field goals throughout his career at Tech. How do you handle the pressure of filling in his shoes?

DC: I’m going to try to do the best I can and work hard every practice. He’s someone to look up to, how good he was to never miss an extra point. I want to be accurate on the field goals and take one kick at a time, and I think if I do that I’ll be fine. It’s going to be stressful, but I’m going to try to keep my mind off of it and take each kick at a time.

RRS: When you arrive on campus, you will be the only scholarship kicker on the roster. Based on that, it seems the coaching staff would be pushing for you to have the starting job next year. How do you stay motivated to continue working hard even though you know you will probably be the starter?

DC: I’m trying not to think about having the starting job locked up. I know there is [senior kicker] Cory Fowler, and a couple of kickers who are there who are also competing for the starting job. Going into it, I look at it like I’m competing with everybody. As long as I do my best and do what I can do I can win the position. Competing will keep me motivated to do the best I can.

RRS: What are your goals for your freshman season at Tech?

DC: Get the starting position doing field goals and kickoffs, and help the team get to where they want to get this year. I feel this year Tech has one of the strongest teams they’ve had a long time coming into this season and I think we can make it all the way to the national championship. I want to help Tech get there as much as I can.

Davis staring down redshirt

With six senior safeties on the roster, the prospect of playing time for anyone other than those six players is slim, and 2008 signee Cody Davis looks at the situation realistically.

“Yeah, they’re probably going to redshirt me,” said Davis. “That’s what they’ve been talking about. I’m alright with it. It’s a year to get stronger, but I’ll still go in there and try my hardest to get some playing time my first year”

Even though a redshirt year is likely, Davis has reason to be optimistic beginning in January of 2009. Davis will be one of four scholarship safeties (Davis, JUCO transfer Ryan Clark, and sophomores Franklin Mitchem and Steven Harris and possibly 2009 verbal Daniel Cobb) on the roster for spring practices. Davis is looking forward to the possibility of winning the starting job and starting for four years.

“I’m real excited about the opportunity next year, that’s one of the main things I looked at when I selected Texas Tech. So I’m really going to be working hard to win that starting spot next spring.”

The 6’3”, 200 pounder plans on attending New Student Orientation at Tech on May 27th, going to class the remainder of the week, traveling back to Stephenville on the 30th for graduation ceremonies. On the 31st, he will return back to Lubbock for good. Needless to say, the end of senior year is going to be a very hectic time for Davis.

To view previous installments of the Red Raider Confidential, visit the archives by clicking here.

Again, The Red Raider Confidential is a special feature for RedRaiderSports.com subscribers only. Everything that is reported in the Red Raider Confidential must stay well… confidential. That's the way this deal works. The Red Raider Confidential is posted in the premium forum to ensure that this information stays exclusively within the Raider Nation.

This will only be successful if everyone helps make it work, so let’s all work together and keep the discussions limited to this board.

Thank you all again for subscribing to RedRaiderSports.com!

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News