ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: Notes, quotes from MBB Media Day

W. McKay

The Electric Factory
Gold Member
Jan 15, 2009
Dallas
Today was Texas Tech's annual basketball Media Day, where we heard from Coach Smith as a group and then broke out to speak with some individual players. Below are my notes and quotes based off the interesting and noteworthy things I heard today.

Coach Smith

*Opening statement: "I'm pleased with where we are. I think a lot of it has to do with - we had an early start with the Canadian tour, so that helped. You have guys, a few new faces that weren't here this summer, but we're ahead as far as implementing the things we want to try to do, but it's still progress. It's still a work in progress," he said. "Things are progressing. We've had a couple of minor injuries and bumps with Justin Gray having surgery, but he'll be back and running in drills without any contact, should be able to start back next week in full contact mode, being able to play. We had Jordan Jackson out for a week with a concussion, but he's fine. First day back was Sunday. For the most part, everybody else has been doing a good job. I'm really pleased with most of the players. I'm pleased with where most things are."

*Coach was also asked about Norense Odiase, and he said he's doing very well, is essentially back to 100 percent.

"He's feeling a lot better right now, and another thing that helped him was the weight loss. He came in at 290 and has trimmed down about 30 or 40 pounds, so that takes a lot of stress off his knees, but he still has a little bit of tendonitis."

"Norense is really played well. He's probably been our most consistent player in practice as far as effort and energy and intensity. Probably our best on the team."

"Absolutely. He's a guy battling for playing time," he said. "He's got the athleticism and the skills. I don't have a problem playing or starting him right away. If he earns that right, earns that opportunity, then he'll play. But, he's doing really well. He's improved his outside shooting, struggled with his ball handling, think he may have had quite a few turnovers in Canada, but now I think he's comfortable with learning our plays, learning our system, so he's probably our best open court player. When you get the ball out in space, he's probably the best on our team. Plus, he's also very creative once he makes a play. He can find people open, and he's a very good passer, so I'm really happy with where he is right now."

*Tubby also feels like the Canada trip has really helped them get way ahead as far as implementing the system, especially with the youngsters coming in. He's really excited to see how they play in their exhibition matches next week to see how much they've improved since then.

*On the point guard competition between Keenan Evans and Devon Thomas:

"(Devon) has done great. I always feel like junior college players have a tougher transition, cause most of them - and with Devon's situation it's multiplied triple because he went from high school to prep school to Missouri State to Trinity College to here. That's five systems. It's a big challenge, but he's a very heady player. He's absorbed and learned things, because he's just a naturally talented and gifted passer, playmaker. At his size, he has to overcome some things, but I'll tell you what he's done: He's made Keenan better. That's a healthy competition, and he'll play. Who is gonna start is still up in the air, although Keenan probably has the edge at this point because he's been in the system for two years. That helps."

*The head man feels like his two point guards are much further ahead this year than they were at the same point last year. Much of that has to do with Rob Turner really being a converted shooting guard rather than a true point, which both Keenan and Devon are.

*On Keenan Evans, how he's grown up:

"His body has transformed. I'm not going to say he's a stud yet, but he's getting there. He's really grown up and matured physically and mentally. He's a very intelligent kid that wants to play, and he's doing the things necessary to earn the playing time. He showed that up in Canada, really played extremely well."

*Evans also told me that he's closer to 185 or 190 right now, has put on more than 5 pounds and really transformed his body. Other big weight changes: CJ Williamson has gone from 185 to 200 since he arrived in the summer, and Norense Odiase has dropped from 300 during the season last year to around 265 now.

*Tubby said they're playing things by ear with Justin Gray and his health right now, feel like he'll be ready to go in a week or two, but they'll really monitor him closely.

*Coach Smith is hoping to get his offense's tempo up quite a bit this year as well, which he feels good about right now.

"Absolutely. We feel like we're a team - although we're not going to sacrifice defense - but we feel like we have an ability to create more possessions, more opportunities with our defense, can force more turnovers, be more efficient in transition and getting easy baskets. That's why recruited CJ and Jordan, because they bring that type of athleticism in the open court play that I think will make us a better team and help us play at more of an uptempo style. I think our front court players are pretty mobile as well," he said. "I think we're a little more mobile now with Zach, Isaiah is getting into better shape, and he's learning to run the court better."

*Tubby also said they're still trying to figure out Rokas Ulvydas' eligibility situation with waivers and such through the NCAA.

*Then there's Matt Temple, who walked on in the offseason and is as interesting story as you'll hear, as he essentially just showed up after being just a student at Tech, tried to walk on after Clark Lammert's recommendation. He's a true post player, and Coach Smith and the staff are hoping to have him eligible by early December.

"If we can get him eligible, he'd have a major impact. He's a guy that gives us some more front court depth that we struggled with last year. That's one of the reasons we weren't a very good rebounding team," he said. "We had a very young front court, but now, I think adding a guy like Matt - He's really dedicated himself to the weight room, getting stronger, and he's getting an understanding of how to really play. He's a very skilled post player with good touch, which is really remarkable to get a guy like that as a walkon with that skill set. How much he'll play, it'll be up to him and how hard he - if he continues to do what he's doing, he'll help us out a lot."

*On the biggest difference between this team and last year's team:

"I just think the experience factor is probably the biggest difference, and by that I mean that this group is - I like their serious-mindedness, their focus, and to be as young as we still are, that's something you don't find often, so I'm really happy with that fact," he said. "I also just think we're more talented basketball players."

*Coach Smith also wanted to share his sympathies with the family of Minnesota Timberwolves coach Flip Saunders, who he got to know well during his time at Minnesota.

"I had a chance to coach his son. I coached him at Minnesota, and I got to know Flip Saunders very well after coaching his son," he said. "He was one of the most respected men, one of the most respected coaches in sports, not just basketball. He was really a special guy, so we wish the best to his family."

*Tubby also wished well to Minnesota football coach Jerry Kill, who retired today due to health reasons.

"I just heard this morning about Coach Kill, who is a very good friend of mine, that he retired because of his epileptic seizures that he was having. In fact, it started when I was there on the sideline. We wish the best to that entire Gopher family. That's tough.

Toddrick Gotcher

*Gotcher talked about starting his last season as a Red Raider:

"Man, it's an amazing feeling. It's actually unreal to me. It's my last year, and it makes me nervous, because I only have one more year to prove what Texas Tech basketball is, so I'm also excited."

*He's also excited about this team, as he feels like they've matured quite a bit as a group over the offseason.

"I've seen a lot of growth and bonding. Canada obviously helped us bond, but just growing from freshmen to sophomores, that group is already playing like sophomores, and it's been impressive. I've just seen a lot of improvement and growth from them."

*Toddrick also said it's been really nice not having to teach such a young group like last year. Lots more maturity on this team this year.

*On Devon Thomas:

"He's a pass-first point guard, and we really haven't seen that. He's really been helping us with assists, finding the open man, so he's really been helping both the bigs and the guards out."

*On Keenan Evans: "He looks like a Big 12 point guard now."

Keenan Evans

*Evans talked about the evolution from being a freshman to a sophomore.

"I feel like there's been a lot of growing this offseason, as far as the freshmen and sophomores, upper classmen, everyone really getting affiliated, just getting better and better everyday. It's been a joy playing with everybody. I just feel like we're going to have a really good season."

*For himself, it's just about getting more comfortable, which included putting on some weight and really transforming his body in the offseason.

"I feel like I'm getting more and more comfortable every day, just talking to Coach, watching film with everybody, and the offseason was just really important to get stronger, faster, quicker, cause in the Big 12, that's what everybody is, stronger. You have to get adjusted, and I feel like I've been doing that well."

*The PG is also excited about competing against Devon Thomas, as the two are pushing one another.

"I'm really excited for him. I love going against him. I make him better, he makes better, and there are like no days off with us just relaxing. I think he's been a great asset for our team."

*And as far as expectations for this team...

"Definitely not last place. Definitely not that. I have big expectations for us, and I feel like if we keep on working, keep on getting better, we can beat quite a few teams in the Big 12."

Zach Smith

*Smith feels great about how his offseason went, and he feels good about the progress of the team as a whole.

"I think the offseason went great. We did a good job of trying to understand the game. We know where we're supposed to be offensively and defensively, the freshmen are starting to understand their role, and we know exactly how things are going to look this season."

*Now tha the's an established sophomore, Zach is trying to show everyone that he's grown as an offensive player in addition to his already great defensive game.

"The main difference is that last year I was trying to earn a spot, and this year I'm trying to maintain a spot. I've got to try to show improvement, show I can score the ball, show I'm a threat offensively as well as defensively. My mindset has just changed a whole lot."

*So, what did he work on offensively?

"It was mainly working on my shot, my handles, and I think it's going pretty good so far. I've been improving my consistency on my jump shot, really tightening up my handles."

*He feels like the team has changed quite a bit physically, too.

"Our athleticism is definitely different. We're more quick and we have guards that can get up as well. We're stronger this year as well."

CJ Williamson

* I got to speak with the true freshman a little bit as well, and he shared his thoughts what it's been like through his first five months as a Red Raider.

"It's been great. A long learning experience," he said. "It's been a long, competitive learning experience, getting to know everybody, their personal life, and they way they conduct themselves on and off the court. I feel like it's competitive every day, and it's a learning experience for everybody. We're getting ready for Monday."

*He felt confident coming in about understanding the adjustment from being a high school to a college player. But, even still, it hit him like it does everyone else.

"I wouldn't say it's been a big adjustment, as my high school coach played at the college level and NBA, so he kind of showed me the aspects of coming in, what it's like, what you've got to do to stay in the game, all that stuff, so I knew what it was like coming in. But, when I got here, it hit me."

*Again, it's worth noting that he's already put on 15 pounds since getting here, is now around 200.

*The freshman has really loved competing at the two and three with Gotcher, Williams, and Gray, and he's been trying to learn as much as he can from his elders.

"It's been great. I like competing with them. Every day is a grind, but again, I also like learning from them, most importantly, especially Toddrick and Devaugntah, off and on the court. They're leaders."

*Williamson finally got his real taste of college ball on the Canada tour, and he admitted to being a little too juiced, especially in the first game.

"I was very excited, because it was my first college game. I could tell I was rushing a lot, cause the adrenaline in my body was really going. But, I could've played way better."

But now, he's eager to get the real games started, and he has big expectations for this team.

"I'm ready to see what we can do," he said. "I want to see what we can do. I think we can go to the NCAA tournament, so I want to see what we can do."

Norense Odiase

*Odiase had a rough go of things early on into the offseason with some bad knee tendonitis, but weight loss and PRP knee treatments have really helped him get essentially 100 percent healthy, and he feels great.

"Really encouraging. I was able to get a PRP injection that's really helped me out. I lost weight, and it's way better on my knees now. I don't feel much pain," he said. "I was at like 300 at one point last year, and now I'm around 265, so it's different. Just way different. It's really just helped me with my stamina."

*The sophomore also felt like he went through a slump mentally during Big 12 play a year ago, something he's really worked on this offseason.

"Mentality is a big thing in the Big 12. I have to have confidence. I lost confidence last year, had a little lull there, but picked it up towards the end. Confidence is key. I have to remain confident."

*He also fills this Red Raider team is much different than the one from a year ago.

"We've improved. We've improved immensely from last year," he said. "We weren't at this point last year. We should be experienced, and we should be ready to play."

*Norense also noted that this team has put some big expectations on themselves.

"For the team, we need to make the tournament. As a group, we feel like we can do it."

Devon Thomas

The JUCO transfer talked about his transition in and how things have gone so far.

"It's been fun. It's definitely been a challenge playing under Coach Tubby. He pushes us everyday, and the older guys have all been really welcoming and stuff like that."

*The hardest adjustment has just been the daily grind, to put it simply.

"Just the intensity that coach wants us to play at. He holds our standards high, and we try to meet that every day."

*He's also had fun competing against Keenan Evans for the starting point guard spot.

"It's been fun. We battle every day, and it's definitely fun. Some days he gets me, and some days I get him, and we go at it every day. We're trying to make each other better."

Reactions: dblt
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News