ADVERTISEMENT

STORY: McGuire Notebook - UCF pres. by Energy Renovation Center

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Highlights from this afternoon's press conference, per usual.

On final drive:

"Yea, the timeout, I was kind of waiting a couple second to call it because I was gonna see if he was going to call one because I think he had one left. Our thought was, you know, get it there because whether they kick the field goal or they scored a touchdown, we needed some time left to go try to score. One thing that you see more and more these days just playing defense and trying to get a stop there. See more and more teams, you know, getting timeouts. I mean, it's not traditional football you know, you go back to old school traditional football, you're gonna get a stop. You know, you're gonna win right there or lose right there. We knew we could get 30 plus seconds on the clock. And we had an opportunity at least to put the ball in Morton's hand to try to go score, that was what we were going to do."

McGuire on fourth down plays that might've been go's last year:

"You know, the one that we've done a little bit different this year, we really stick to analytics, but I'm trying to, you know, that game was a really defensive game. Besides that really one play we're playing really good defense so it was a let's try to pin them back and make them drive the field. You know, that was gonna happen either way and especially now. We've been through it the pains of playing with a number three quarterback they were playing with a young quarterback. So it was almost like hey, let's see if he can beat us. And so there was a couple times it probably was a go. It was really close. But that was more or less hey, let's go play defense because we were playing good defense today."

On redzone defense:

"When you watch, I thought DeRuyter had a great call. Where we get the fourth down where Jacob Rodriguez comes free on the blitz, can't hang on but you have enough guys running to the football. Lux came up with a huge tackle on that. That's something that we have not done well this year, where last year were ninth in the country in red zone this year. We've not been very good in the red zone. But we needed to be the other day and those guys came up really big. And it's kind of a credit to how hard they were playing. I think it's also a credit to get Jay Rodriguez back."

McGuire on UCF:

"Really good football team, one of the best offensive teams in the country. I think they're top 10 in total offense. They've kind of went through what we've gone through. You know, they start off 3-0, then they lose their quarterback and him coming back the last four games has made a huge difference. They're playing really good football right now. Really explosive. Got two really good outside receivers once again. Pretty good quarterback and he's feeling healthier and healthier."

McGuire on KU's run game and UCF's run game similarities:

"Well, we're glad that we played Kansas last week, because they're different, but similar meaning you're gonna get a lot of quarterback run game. And so that was good. Kansas moves every single snap. And so I think that communication that we had last week is going to help us this week. Little bit different. I think if quarterback was healthy all year long, you might see a little bit more K-State run game, but their run game is more like Kansas, zone read, wouldn't say like the triple option of what Kansas was doing, but you're gonna get more of a quarterback run game."

McGuire on November success:

"I think this year it's really we're probably as healthy as we have been since week one. I think Behren is in a groove. I think Tahj is doing such a good job running the football. The last couple of weeks against really good offense's, we've played our best defense and I think a little bit has to do with getting healthy and then you know, I think we've got some old guys who are really focused on leaving something behind, and part of that leaving something behind is being bowl eligible and being able to play in a bowl game and that helps you build a program and so it's kind of the same thing as last year, being able to try and get bowl eligible. It's frustrating, you know, being 1-3, we played better last year in September. And then we kind of had a bad October. This year, we didn't play very well in September at all and you know we're playing well, at the end of the year. We got to finish, this is a huge game for us."

On Jacob Rodriguez:

"Yeah, the good thing was it wasn't his foot. He rolled his ankle and we were able to retape it and get him back out there. It was on his other leg, so he'll be ready to go."

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News