ADVERTISEMENT

HOOPS: McCasland Notebook: Texas Tech preps for ultra efficient BYU

J. Apodaca

Mickey Mouse Staff Member
Staff
Mar 7, 2022
Pretty brief conversation with the head coach this afternoon, here's the notes.

Opening Statement:

"What a great opportunity for our team to get back on the floor and play. I mean, had a tough environment and an absolutely grinder tough game against an experienced team that we have a lot of respect for in Houston. It's a game that I think we've grown from that we'll learn from, especially in this league. But we're excited about our game against BYU. One of the best offensive teams and a great defensive team, they just got a great basketball team. They're tough to defend and they cause a lot of problems because they play differently than what we've faced and a lot of teams that we face. They're skilled at all positions that can really stretch the floor and the number one in the country and assists number three and assist rate so you just look at them and you know, they share the ball well, they can put you on your heels. They're a great defensive team and like it is in the big 12 It's another tough game but we're excited we're back at the USA and looking forward to the opportunity."

On how you bounce back from Houston:

"You know, that you're always going to have to be learning you can't ever look at this, you can't be stagnant. I mean, you got to be moving forward and you got to be competitive in the way you do it. You can't just do it like hey, we're gonna walk through this. I think, like to practice we got to love our guys approach because they love being out here. Yesterday, we watched film, we've talked about what we wanted to do. And today our guys competed. And that's that's the mentality you got to have. It's not, it's not you're gonna go out here and talk about what you want to do. You gotta be able to do it. And that's what I love about this team and you guys responded well, and they're excited to play."

On BYU's three-point shooting:

"Yeah, I mean, they're averaging 13 made threes a game. I mean, that's, that's wild when you look at and it's a unique perspective. They do shoot them early. I mean, they'll shoot them off early handoffs or shoot them off early ball screens, they'll they'll straight away and shoot them quickly. They're just an aggressive team. Your mentality, there can't ever be a time where you're looking at a guy that you're thinking, hey, this guy's not a threat. I had some experience playing against Khalifa who transferred from Charlotte who's, you know, leading the country, I think can assist to turnover ratio, just a remarkable mismatch in the middle of the floor. And I think he's really added some depth to what they're doing and makes it even more difficult to defend but definitely got to be on edge."

On defending against this high assist team:

"Yeah, and that's where they're unique because everybody on the floor can make it three and when you get in these situations when Khalifa is on the floor, you know your attention to how you communicate it and your aggressiveness has to be at a max. You know, sometimes there's teams that you play that your overhelping off different people and you're always in a help role. And this is one of those games where everybody's going to be engaged in actions at all times. So your alertness and your competitiveness just has to be on on go."

On Khalifa and his similarity to Warren:

"that's definitely a great example of a guy that can do it. I think when you look at the versatility in the middle of the floor, you know they both have that same feel and vision to make great plays and make great decisions. Khalifa is more of a three point threat with Warren being a lob threat, they put pressure on the rim in different ways. And that's what I'm saying there's a uniqueness to how you have to defend it because whether you practice against Warren, you get a feel for what that feels like well then it's still different because of the spacing that he provides. So definitely a lot of similarities and it's pretty good practice and we've had some experience doing it."

On combo-guard Jaxson Robinson:

"Talk about a scorer, every time he catches the ball, he looks to put pressure on the rim. So anytime you're guarding him, you just got to know what he's capable of putting on your heels and scoring the basket and the attentiveness of everybody just because the way they move pieces you better be ready to guard every everybody on the floor. Knowing personnel this game is going to be a big deal."

The OFFICIAL solar panel installer of RedRaiderSports.com!
www.energyrenovationcenter.com
Why Energy Renovation Center?
Energy Renovation Center is a DFW based solar installation company which prides itself on quality installation and customer service. Let’s give you an answer of “Why ERC” . We pay close attention to detail when it comes to taking care of our clients. Moreover, an excellent customer experience is what we strive for with every install. If something doesn’t go as planned, we always work hard to correct anything that needs attention. Moreover, we take 100% pride in everything we do. That is why we do not outsource, from educating homeowners in the community to designing a custom system and installing it right the first time! Customer satisfaction is guaranteed.
Clayton Summerlin
Energy Renovation Center
TDLR Lic# 35068 | CSLB Lic# 10093262016
E Randol Mill Rd. Ste. 409 Arlington, TX 76011
claytons@energyrenovationcenter.com
EARN $500 FOR EACH FRIEND THAT GOES SOLAR WITH US!Energy Renovation Center has paid out over $1.2 million to our users! Tell a friend. Get paid!

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News