ADVERTISEMENT

#13 Texas Tech MBB vs Eastern Illinois

Brandon Bohannon

Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Dec 13, 2007
Fort Worth
This was a dominating win that was never uncomfortable nor in doubt. For anyone concerned about our lack of 3 point shooting in our preseason tour and tuneup games, it was back in full force and looked to be in midseason form (8-15; 53.3%). Our returning players and grad transfers looked the part and were always in control. Our freshmen, in particular Ramsey and Shannon, looked electric. More on them in a minute.

We need to finish our And1 plays, we turned the ball over in the 2nd Half too much (9 times after only 4 in the 1st Half), and our transition defense missed several times. Clarke, Holyfield, Nadolny and Tchewa all missed the free throw on And1 plays. This accounted for 4 of our 6 missed free throws. We finished 13-19 (68.4%) overall. We need to finish.

Eastern Illinois had a few good players and imho was a pretty impressive non-conference opener, being the oldest team in this season's NCAA basketball.

A break down of our players:

Starters:
JR G Davide Moretti - After not doing much versus our preseason schedule, Moretti looked like what we've grown accustomed to. He had 3 assists and a steal with 0 turnovers. He was 4-6 (66.7%) from the field, 3-4 (75.0%) from 3pt, and 2-2 (100.0%) from the free throw line. He is after all the first Big 12 MBB player in league history to be a 50/50/90 shooter. He wowed the crowd several times with his ball handling and behind the back dribbles and passes. One of my favorite plays of the night was when he started the fast break by saving a ball going out of bounds with a behind the back pass to Ramsey. He is SO good and the leader of this team.

SO G Kyler Edwards - Kyler had a quiet preseason and by fan expectation after his performance in the National Championship Game, he had a relatively quiet opening night. 6 points and 0 made 3's. Kyler did however tie for the team lead in rebounds with 6, dished out 3 assists, and he played some smothering defense even blocking 2 shots. Kind of a Justin Gray like stat line but we all know that he is capable of leading this team in scoring on any given night.

FR G Jahmi'us Ramsey - How good is this kid? 19 points 5 rebounds 3 assists 3 steals 1 block 0 turnovers in a team leading 30 minutes played. Are you serious? While he is a ball dominant guard, he really didn't force anything and he went 3-5 (60.0%) from 3pt. He can get his anytime he wants to. And defense? Next time you get the chance, just watch him on that side of the ball for awhile. He did leave his feet a couple of times but good Lord is he good and going to get even better. I've never seen a freshman at Tech with that skillset. Let that marinate.

FR G Terrence Shannon Jr - The surprise story so far. During the recruiting period there were actually whispers that Shannon might not make this team. It sounded like there were some concerns over attitude/work ethic. It sounded like that he might lose his spot at Tech. Supposedly our coaches discreetly let him know and he changed it. Not only that, he came in and outworked everyone. He made such huge strides that our own Level even reported to not be surprised to see Shannon outshine Ramsey and that that wasn't a knock on Ramsey. Shannon was just working that hard. He hates the rim and attacks it like it insulted his momma. 11 points on 7-8 (87.5%) free throw shooting. He did have 3 turnovers, so he'll need to clean that up, but boy is he fun to watch. He and Ramsey really were the force and forced part of our offense but we could see these two freshman go hard after Zhaire/Culver's freshman scoring record and numbers.

SR F TJ Holyfield - Player of the Game. Every bit as good as advertised. He missed ONE shot and it isn't like he didn't attempt some high level of difficulty attempts. He was 7-8 (87.5%) from the field, 1-1 (100.0%) from 3pt, and led the team with 6 rebounds. Along with his 15 points and 6 rebounds, he had 3 assists, 1 steal and 2 blocks. My only criticism, and it's a tiny one, finish the And1. His game is so different than Tariq's but he sure looks like another hit for Beard in the transfer market.

Bench:
SR G Chris Clarke - Only scored 2 points on 3 shot attempts, but led the team with 8 assists on 2 turnovers and added 3 rebounds. He is an excellent defender and facilitator. We didn't need him to score this game but he will be needed when we play the likes of Louisville, Kentucky and the Big 12 slate.

FR G Clarence Nadolny - rolled his ankle in the 2nd H but he did return so hopefully just a minor thing as he really excites me about his/our future. He scored 6 points on 3 shot attempts and had 1 rebound and 1 assist against 0 turnovers in his 14 minutes of play. It is so easy to see why Iowa State and West Virginia wanted this kid but Beard got him. Kind of like Kyler Edwards, Nadolny looks like he could play Linebacker or Strong Safety.

FR C Russel Tchewa - with no offense intended for Ondigo or Mballa, I wish them both well, this is the payoff for having inroads into Putnam Science Academy. Tchewa is the real deal and much more talented than the aforementioned players from PSA. He is a grown-*** man at 7'0" and a muscular 260 lbs. I have been waiting for a player like this my whole life. I love Flemmons, Battie, Ellis, etc. but this again is something we haven't seen before. His teammates get it as they would stand when the ball would go in to Big Russ. 6 points on 3-4 (75.0%) shooting, 3 rebounds, and how about 2 assists? His fast break dunk and finish had me flashback tripping to the 90's with Battie, Ham and Bernard Lloyd throwing down dunks. Violence!

SO G Avery Benson - the walk-on. He hit his only shot attempt in 7 minutes for a three. Benson just embodies Beard. He is Beard's avatar on the basketball court. I love this kid! I believe he is going to be very successful in life. If he wants to, he'll make a great coach.

FR G Kevin McCullar - this is the take that might stir up some controversy, especially since he led the team with 4 turnovers. He is so freaking smooth! He reminds me of Culver and a little of Andre Emmett with that 6'6" frame of his when he has the ball. He was careless too many times, but he also made some great passes (a la Culver), scored 4 points on 2-4 shooting (50.0%), had 2 rebounds, 1 assist, and in my opinion had 2 of the most impressive individual steals (we had 7 total) in the game. I am really excited to see how he a Nadolny grow and improve as they could become 3-4 year linchpins to us becoming a year-in-year-out national program. We are two seasons into what could become a long-running success story.

FR F Andrei Savrasov - a little surprising, but it is Savrasov and not Tchewa that appears to be a bigger project. He only played 7 minutes, like Benson, and he went 0-2 from 3pt. He did corral a rebound but he still looks a little out of place mentally on the court. If we know anything at this point, Beard and Adams can transform anyone they choose to. Against better teams, he won't play, and it makes getting Joel Ntambwe a much more glaring need. If not, we will be thin on true size this season and Tchewa will have to grow up much faster.

In closing:
This was just one game. We will be tested, especially on the road and in neutral site venues during non-conference. $ Iowa, $ Creighton/San Diego State, at DePaul, and $ Louisville will test the mettle of our young team. Do NOT freak out if we lose a couple of those games! Do not freak out if we struggle out of the gate against the Big 12. Oklahoma State took us to overtime in Lubbock last season with Jarrett Culver and a Final Four roster. Baylor will be a challenge. At West Virginia, Huggies revenge? At Kansas State? There are no gimmes in the Big 12.

I do believe that Beard and the boys will do all they can to defend the Big 12 title.
I do believe that this is a 3rd straight NCAA tournament team (never been done before in school history but Beard will)
I do believe that when the USA is packed like it was for Eastern Illinois that we won't lose many if ever (yes we've lost 5 home game since Beard has been HC but his home record is ridiculous)
It's just one game, but I believe! Do you?

What did you see?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News